Lifetime wealth transfer may be important for you to consider if you have a taxable estate (more than $11.4M million in total assets for 2019). Your estate includes all your tangible assets, the value of life insurance proceeds, retirement accounts, and business holdings. Lifetime wealth transfer tools generally provide for leveraged gifting while making use of your lifetime gift tax exemption which is $5.49M per person.
Here are some examples of gifting mechanisms:
• GST Exempt Gift Trusts
• Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRT)
• Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRAT)
• Grantor Retained Income Trusts (GRIT)
• Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGT)
• Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILIT)
• Family Limited Partnerships (FLP)
• Family Limited Liability Companies
These are all tools that can be used individually or in combination to minimize or eliminate taxes while also helping you realize your ultimate goals. As always, we will work closely with your other advisers to coordinate a wealth transfer plan that reflects your values and wishes.
Call us today at our San Francisco Office at (415) 693-0550 or our Santa Rosa location at (707) 544-8462 to inquire about a consultation. We look forward to hearing from you!